For this paper you should do the following things:
- Pick an issue or topic that you don’t feel is covered sufficiently by mainstream media (you define this as the “Big Five” media conglomerates Bagdikian mentions in Chapter 2 of The New Media Monopoly).
- Explore through extensive research how this topic is covered through non-mainstream convergent media, making sure to thoroughly cover all media, i.e., print, audio, video, digital, and as many combinations thereof you can find.
- Draw some conclusions about media coverage of your topic, especially in the realm of class discussions and readings . Can it only be represented by divergent voices? Do you see it ever entering the mainstream?
- Document all of your sources, including all links, in MLA 2009 format.
- Turn in your final draft in Print (paper) form, but have a digital copy prepared for possible archiving (I’ll explain this further in class).
This assignment should be approximately 14-16 double-spaced pages, or 3,500-4,000 words.
Friday, 3/12 (The day before Spring Break) – Have your research topic approved by me
Thursday, 4/8 – Have a working bibliography prepared for class
Thursday, 4/15 – In-class presentation and discussion of your work so far – you should be at least halfway done by this time
Thursday, 4/29 – PAPERS DUE